Oakwood was the first day school to open in Hull and the second in the UK. We have been open since 2008 and in 2020 we moved to a more spacious site. We offer dog day school to socialise dogs and we also carry out basic manners training. We have 2 indoor hall and 2 outside play areas.
On the traineeship you will be working alongside one of the day school staff learning how to care for the dogs that come to us including training, feeding and observing behaviours. Cleaning of the day school would be expected to be done to a high standard. Customer service is a big part of the role and learning how to work well as a team.
This Traineeship opportunity is UNPAID Work Experience as part of an entry to work course for those aged from 16 up to 24 years old who are unemployed and not in education.
This Traineeship work experience is part of an education and training programme that is focused on giving young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for. At its core is the Work Preparation training, English and maths for those who need it, and a high quality work experience placement.
Traineeships help unlock your great potential and give you the work preparation training, maths, English, Digital Skills and work experience needed to get an Apprenticeship or other job.
We have an opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated person who is passionate about animals to work in an inspiring environment and be a valued member of a friendly, professional team.
Working with the Day School Supervisor, colleagues and volunteers you will be responsible for up to 30 dogs each day ensuring the needs of each dog is identified and met whilst in the school, working to their individual training plan (designed to meet their development areas) and ensuring that each dog receives adequate daily attention including feeding, facilitating dog-dog interaction, training, and behaviour rehabilitation. Promoting a humane and caring attitude towards our charges, treating them with respect and compassion at all times and working to our documented standards of Health & Safety.
The traineeship work experience is part of an education and training programme that is focused on supporting young people to gain the skills that employers are looking for when recruiting. At its core is work preparation training, English and Maths for those who need it, and a high quality work experience placement.
Are you eligible?
- Are you currently not in a job and have little work experience
- Are you aged 16-18 and qualified below Level 4
- Think you could be ready for employment or an apprenticeship within 6 months, or less?
- Motivated to work hard and learn
Training to be provided
Training to be provided by the employer, supported KEITS. This will include one half day a week remote learning with your assessor.
Training will be provided towards an E3 or L1 Gateway Qualification - Skills for the Landbased Sector.
You will also study for a Gateway qualification which contains the following units:
- Health and Safety in an Animal Care Workplace
- Working in Animal Care
- Caring for Animals: Feeding and Grooming
- Cleaning & Maintaining Animal Accommodation
- Applying for a job
- Conduct at work
- Making the most of work placement
- Listen and Respond
- Making Calculations
- After successful completion of the Traineeship course, you will receive a certificate of completion and a letter of reference as a minimum
- Potential for progression onto an apprenticeship for the right candidate
- A love and passion for working with dogs
- Be able to establish and build strong relationships with clients colleagues and volunteers
- Be able to use own initiative
- Be able to follow instructions both written and verbal
- Have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Possess a strong work ethic with a “can do” attitude
- Be punctual and completely reliable with a professional attitude and appearance
- A commitment to delivering a high quality service
Things to consider
- This is UNPAID work experience with supported training, so you will need to consider this before you apply
- KEITS Training Services reserves the right to close vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise
- You have to be aged from 16 up to 24 years old (this is not employment but Work Based Skill Training and is therefore not part of an employment contract). You will be assessed on your progress and through your commitment for permanent roles
- If you are unsure if this is right for you, please apply and/or contact us and we will assess your suitability
Tuesday to Friday 7.15am to 1pm,12.30pm to 6.15pm 2-4 working days and1/2 day remote learning.
Possible start date
22 March 2021
27 January 2021