Marc and Liz Mackenzie, run and own Mackenzie Hotels Ltd, one of the leading independent Hotel groups in Norfolk. Three individually different and very distinctive 3 and 4 start hotels are located in the delightful coastal countryside of North Norfolk - Sea Marge Hotel, Overstrand, Links Country Park Hotel - West Runton and the Dales Country House Hotel - Upper Sheringham. These 3 Hotels share many things; They operate professionally, giving consistently good service and a high quality product whilst maintaining sound principles and good value for money A passion for turning interesting buildings into fascinating places to stay The knack of blending traditional features with modern comforts Above all, an enthusiasm for welcoming and entertaining our guests Continually looking to improve our standards and quality throughout the business to enhance guest experience
We are looking for someone who is starting out on their career in greenkeeping and looking to gain a qualification while working too. You will be working alongside our team on our 9 hole golf course at the Links Hotel gaining experience on the job as well as qualifications which will require commitment from yourself to achieve tasks and goals set.
Tasks you may be asked to help with on the course include:
- Switching and brushing
- Mowing banks, rough, semi rough, surrounds and approaches
- Mowing tees, greens and fairways
- Scarifying/verticutting turf
- Aerating turf
- Applying nutrition
- Applying top dressing
- Repairing divots
- Irrigating turf
- Identifying and controlling weeds and pests. Record all pest control.
- Identifying and control of turf diseases and disorders
- Preparing ground to establish turf
- Establishing turf
- Identifying grasses on the golf course
- Marking of hazards, out of bounds and ground under repair
- Moving tee markers
- Maintaining bunkers
- Maintaining golf course furniture
- Changing holes
- Rolling turf
- Driving a tractor with implements
- Undertaking routine machine maintenance
- Preparing machinery for use
- Preparing machinery for storage
- Measuring green speed and interpreting the results
- The rules of golf relating to golf course maintenance
- Preparing ground to establish plants on the golf course
- Establishing plants on the golf course
- Maintaining trees and shrubs on the golf course
- Identifying plants on the golf course
- Communication skills
- Listening skills
- Team building skills
- Problem solving skills
- Organisational skills
- Manual work skills
- Be physically fit
- Hard working
- Approachable to other staff and golf members
- Reliable and have a genuine interest in wanting to learn and work hard as a greenkeeper
Apprentices will ideally have achieved GCSE Grades A*-D/9-3. Candidates are required to have or achieve Level 1 maths and English Functional Skills. L2 Functional Skills in maths and English have to be attempted prior to the completion of their Apprenticeship.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship the successful candidate will be considered for recruitment as a qualified Greenkeeper. The opportunity of a Level 3 Horticulture Supervisor may also be considered.
Things to consider
We are located right next to a train stations so ideal for transport links, the shifts start from 7.30 so candidates must be able to get to work for this time.
The Job is outdoors based so the successful candidate must be willing to work in all weathers.
We own three hotels so the candidate may be asked to help look after gardens/lawns at other hotels from time to time.
KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise.
2 week rolling rota with every other weekend off
Possible start date
11 January 2021
3 November 2020
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship