Impulse Leisure is an ambitious and innovative organisation that operates a number of Charitable Leisure Trusts. With over 450 employees, we operate a total of eight facilities across Essex and West Sussex, in pursuit of our mission - to Create Active and Healthy Communities. We are a vital component in the improvement of health and wellbeing in the communities in which we work, and continually seek applicants who will share in our vision. As a large local social enterprise, we invest all our surpluses into developing even bigger and better facilities and services. We believe in rewarding and training our most important assets - our employees. Therefore, we only seek the most inspiring, highly motivated and professional people to join our teams.
Become our next industry professional.
Whether you want to commence a new career, work closer to home, return to work, get ahead of the game by obtaining practical experience, earn whilst learning, work flexibly or obtain industry recognised qualifications without being stuck in a classroom, our career pathways are for everyone regardless of age or circumstance.
Our Aspiring Grounds Professional Pathway is an excellent training opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with a dedicated interest in commencing a career in the golf / leisure / grounds maintenance industry. In conjunction with our training providers, the programme will provide valuable direct experience across the many facets of a Golf and Country Club, whilst working towards achieving industry recognised qualifications i.e. Level 2 Standard in Golf Greenkeeping.
On successful completion of the 24 month apprenticeship programme, the Company would expect to be able to offer continued employment and / or further career pathway opportunities, subject of course to the candidate meeting the required standards. Places on this programme are limited, and are subject to applicants being able to meet Government funded criteria.
Key role specific responsibilities:
- To undertake training and gain experience / qualifications (subject to funding) in a variety of duties in departments across the business i.e. grounds maintenance, golf, leisure, food and beverage etc.
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency) assist in carrying out routine grounds maintenance patrols and tasks as directed by the Head of Grounds, in accordance with the sites Normal Operating Procedures (NOP)
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to full training / competency and supervision) assist in cutting sports pitches, tees, greens, surrounds, fairways, rough and semi rough to a high standard
- To assist in ensuring all equipment is secured and maintained and set up, i.e. football pitches including erecting goals, nets and line markings
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency) set up golf course, including changing holes, moving tee markers, indicating out of bounds, drop zones and hazards
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency) assist the team in the application of top dressing and fertiliser
- Learn to identify and control pests and diseases and report to your Line Manager
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency) to assist in undertaking renovation of worn and damaged turf
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to full training / competency and supervision) prepare, maintain and use machinery in accordance with work instructions and training provided
- To initially learn and then follow all security measures put in place to protect the building, the equipment, yourself and your team, ensuring all insurance requirements are adhered to
- To initially learn, and act as golf marshal, i.e. ensuring ticket checks are completed
- To initially learn, and then safely carry out all daily collections of driving range golf balls, making sure that the golf balls are washed and ready for customer use
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency) assist in maintaining the Quality Management Systems essential in delivering the efficient operation of the site i.e. to complete all forms such as daily facility, tree inspection and fleet pre use checks that ensure a safe working environment
- In conjunction with site management, work within the guidelines set by the site risk assessments, and working instructions so all tasks on site are completed safely and in line with Company policy
- To ensure all equipment and machinery is stored correctly and never left unattended in public areas
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency / full training and supervision) comply with COSHH regulations with regards to the handling, storing use and the disposal of chemicals
- To bring to the attention of the site management team, any potential customer care issues, and deal with customer and employee contact effectively and courteously in line with Impulse Leisure’s policies and procedures
- To treat everyone with respect and dignity in all circumstances
- To initially learn, and in future (subject to competency) assist in covering the golf shop, café and bar (where 18 years of age due to licensing regulations) as and when required
- To commit to undertake tasks identified for the duration of the apprenticeship programme, and gain a portfolio of evidence towards accreditation for your NVQ Level 2 in Golf Greenkeeping
- To undertake any training as directed by the Company, in order to comply with current and future company initiatives, as well as participate in other development activities according to individual need and the needs of the organisation, i.e. Spraying Certificate / Licences, Food Hygiene etc (subject to career pathway)
- To commit to key areas of development for the Company, that will contribute to your learning, and widen your experience within the leisure industry i.e CIMSPA/BIGGA
- To provide support in all areas of the business operation that you are qualified / trained to do so
- Understanding of health and safety, and safety mind-set for self, colleagues and customers
- Ability to verbally communicate clearly and effectively, e.g. deal with customer queries, team meetings, etc
- Ability to understand and complete paperwork associated with the role, e.g. recording faults, daily checks/logs and have the ability to complete functional skills in English
- Basic numeracy skills, e.g. chemical ratios, stock control and have the ability to complete functional skills in maths
- Ability to deliver good customer service
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as on your own initiative
- Ability to carry out grounds maintenance duties, and prepare, rig and de-rig equipment
- Ability to undertake a Level 2 NVQ in Golf Greenkeeping
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions
- Passion for the great outdoors, and interest in developing a professional career in the golf / leisure / grounds maintenance industry and setting
- Must be willing and prepared to undertake any additional training in order to fulfil the requirements of the programme, i.e. spraying licences / certificates.
- Trustworthy with respect for confidentiality
- To have a responsible, dedicated, positive ‘can-do’ attitude to work and learning
- Excellent time keeping and attendance
- Flexible and adaptable with hours, tasks and duties, and must be prepared to work at any of Impulse Leisure Centres consistent with the nature and responsibilities of the apprenticeship programme
- GCSEs in maths and English (or the equivalent) are beneficial but not essential
- On successful completion of the 24 month apprenticeship programme, the Company would expect to be able to offer continued employment and/or further career pathway opportunities, subject of course to the candidate meeting the required standards
Things to consider
- KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise
29 May 2019
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship