One of the constituent Colleges of the University of Cambridge, King's is world-famous and iconic with an outstanding academic record. Our inclusive and vibrant community exists to advance education, religion, learning, and research. We have around 275 non-academic staff, as well as approximately 130 teaching Fellows and around 650 students. Integral to our success is the work of our staff, and this includes our team of Gardeners who look after the extensive lawns, gardens and grounds, parts of which date back to the 1600s. The College grounds are open to the public and the Fellows' Garden is usually open as part of the National Gardens Scheme.
We are seeking a keen Apprentice Gardener to join our Gardens team.
Responsible to the Head Gardener, the purpose of the role is to carry out the highest possible standard of mowing and horticultural work in the College grounds.
This will include:
- Cutting and laying turf and the maintenance of lawns
- Maintenance of garden features such as paths, ponds and borders
- Disease and pest control activities
- Maintaining records of work carried out
- Ensuring that all tools, plant and machinery are maintained
- Ensuring that safe methods of working are always applied
The ideal candidate will be conscientious, hardworking and reliable. You should also be committed to producing work of a high standard and be able to work as part of a team and with minimum supervision when required.
A knowledge of plants, mowing techniques and first aid is desirable, the willingness to learn about these areas of work is essential.
We offer a friendly and supportive work environment and there may be opportunities to progress within the department in the future.
Practical skills essential
Mowing skills (desirable)
- Knowledge of plants (desirable)
- Knowledge of First Aid (desirable)
- Some experience of operating and maintaining garden machinery (desirable, training will be given)
- An awareness of the operation of Health and Safety in the Workplace regulations (desirable, training will be given)
- Keen to learn
- GCSE passes in English and maths
- A future career in high-end horticulture
Things to consider
- KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise
- Lunch on duty
- 32 days paid holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Car parking when available
Cambridge CB2 1ST
24 months approx.
5 November 2019
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Level 2 Canine Carer Apprentice (Dogs Trust Canterbury)
Location: Whitstable CT5 3ERView Apprenticeship Details
Level 2 Equine Groom (Yazmin Pinchen Showjumping)
Location: Crawley RH11 0LFView Apprenticeship Details
Level 2 Florist Apprentice (Bloxhams of Chislehurst Limited)
Location: Chislehurst BR7 5AGView Apprenticeship Details