Clare College is the second oldest college in Cambridge. We are known to have lovely gardens that people pay to visit. We are a friendly college and have four different sites where students live.
Job Title: Apprentice Gardener
Reports to: Head Gardener
Hours of work: Spring/Summer 40 hours per week
Autumn/Winter 35 hours per week
Purpose of the Job:
To work as part of a team responsible for the maintenance of the College’s Gardens including all trees, shrubs and cultivated areas to a high standard comparable to the best of the Cambridge Colleges. Including 20% off-site learning which may take place at other sites such as training college or other Cambridge University College gardens.
- To work with the garden team including all greenhouse work, raising seeds, cuttings and bulbs
- Learn how to maintain and care of the herbaceous borders, pruning trees and shrubs
- Learn how to work on machines and mowers
- To keep the gardens and all outside areas clear of litter
- To carry out edging of lawns, clipping hedges, sweeping and cutting of rough grass
- To work with the work experience students
- To adhere to Health and Safety regulations and current legislation
- To undertake such other duties as may reasonably be required in this position
The exact weekly wage will be clarified at interview.
- Physically capable of manual work
- Experience using a mower and basic hand tools
- Friendly, helpful and a willingness to learn and to work in a team
- Must really want to have a career in horticulture
GCSE's in English and maths at Grade 2/E or above or equivalent qualification.
Past apprentices have moved onto Landscape Architecture courses, set up their own businesses and one travelled the world ending up surveying Trees in Madagascar.
Things to consider
This is a physically demanding apprenticeship as it is manual work where you are on your feet all day and expected to work in all weathers.
Uniform, wet weather gear and PPE will be provided.
KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise.
£170.63 - £327.00
Monday to Friday. 8 am start, finish at 4pm in Winter and 5 pm in summer. One hour lunch break 12.30
Possible start date
16 November 2020
22 September 2020
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Level 2 Equine Groom Apprentice (Bethany Tamara Curtis)
Location: HuntingdonView Apprenticeship Details
Level 2 Equine Groom Apprenticeship (Folly Farm)
Location: PeterboroughView Apprenticeship Details
Level 2 Apprentice Equine Groom (Manston Riding Centre)
Location: RamsgateView Apprenticeship Details