The Stables Horse Activity Centre is a registered charity offering riding and horse care opportunities to children and adults with physical and/or learning disabilities in an inclusive and supportive environment. Our weekday adult students with learning disabilities benefit from individual learning programmes for horse care and stable management. Riding lessons for adults and children with disabilities are offered during the week. At weekends, we run integrated lessons for the local community, where disabled and non-disabled clients can ride together. The centre is open to everyone in the community and welcomes individuals and groups. Riding horses is an excellent way of giving people with all abilities and disabilities an opportunity to achieve a sense of independence and freedom.
There are two aspects to the apprenticeship. The primary role is a stables assistant position. It will include general horse care and stable management, including mucking out, feeding and watering, turning out and bringing in horses, rugging and tacking up, grooming and observation of horse health and welfare i.e. spotting signs of lameness, ill health or injury. Assisting with therapy based riding lessons for riders who may have disabilities or learning difficulties; leading, supervising and assisting mounting and dismounting, awareness of safety during lessons. Taking telephone bookings and welcoming clients and parents/carers. Assisting with feed and bedding deliveries, including bulky items such as hay bales and shavings.
In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for supervising and supporting our adult students with their learning programmes in horse care and stable management. At some times they will also be responsible for supervising children with and without disabilities e.g. during school holidays.
The role comprises of, but not limited to:
- Horse care, general yard duties and maintenance
- Teaching of therapy based riding lessons/sessions
- Supervision of children and adults who may, or may not, have mental illness or physical disabilities
- Acceptance and unloading of bulky items (e.g. feed, hay, shavings)
- Training of adults within our student program
- Maintenance of equipment
- Receiving and organising bookings in person and over the phone
- Must have exceptional people skills and be able to work well with customers
- Must have experience of working with horses
- Experience of working with disabled people advantageous
- DIY skills a plus
- Must have a positive disposition and a caring attitude
- Caring and positive attitude.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Strong team member.
- Maths and English GCSE, or equivalents, required. (please show on application)
- BHS Stage 1 or equivalent required. (please show on application)
- There may be the possibility of full time employment at the end of the apprenticeship for the right candidate
Things to consider
- KEITS Training Services Ltd reserves the right to close the vacancy earlier than the listed closing date should the need arise
Barnet | EN5 2DN
8.30am – 4.30pm (with half hour lunch break), Mondays to Fridays and some Saturdays. 37.5hrs p/w
16 months approx.
Possible start date
1 March 2019
5 February 2019
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
1 x equine groom
Equine Groom Apprentice Regal Equestrian Ltd
Location: Shipston-On-Stour | CV36 5PJView Apprenticeship Details
Level 2 Apprentice Groom Manston Riding Centre
Location: 15 Alland Grange Lane | Ramsgate | CT12 5BXView Apprenticeship Details
Level 2 Equine Groom (Coldblow Equestrian Centre)
Location: Cold Blow Lane | Maidstone | ME14 3LRView Apprenticeship Details